[owncloud-devel] GPS Tracker for OwnCloud

Nico Mittenzwey nico.mittenzwey at posteo.de
Thu Apr 3 21:27:39 GMT 2014

Hi List,
since I was not able to find one on http://apps.owncloud.com/, I'm
thinking of writing a simple GPS tracker app for OwnCloud. However, I
first like to know if you think OwnCloud is the right platform for this.

There are several open source projects out there [1,2,3] which have most
of the functionality I look for. There is even an own protocol for
sending location-based information over the internet [4].
However, they lag some features:
1. I already run a OwnCloud server - why install and maintain another
one? :D
2. I want to share my positions with certain people (within a certain
time frame)
3. I want to transfer my positions encrypted
4. I want a simple cellphone app to send my positions periodically
5. I want a simple cellphone app to show me the positions of others on a map
6. I want a simple web app to show me the positions of others on a map

For all features I want, OwnCloud seems the right choice:

1. Check
2. I think the ownCloud file sharing feature can be used for this?
3. HTTPS -> Check
4. Android/iOS Library -> Check
5. Android/iOS Library -> Check
6. OwnCloud / App Framework API -> Check

What do you think?

Cheers,
Nico

[1] http://www.opengts.org/