[owncloud-devel] GPS Tracker for OwnCloud

Marcel Herrguth mherrguth at mrgeneration.de
Fri Apr 11 06:59:13 GMT 2014

Hey Nico,

Am 3.4.2014 23:27, schrieb Nico Mittenzwey:
> Hi List,
> since I was not able to find one on http://apps.owncloud.com/, I'm
> thinking of writing a simple GPS tracker app for OwnCloud. However, I
> first like to know if you think OwnCloud is the right platform for
> this.
>
> There are several open source projects out there [1,2,3] which have
> most
> of the functionality I look for. There is even an own protocol for
> sending location-based information over the internet [4].
> However, they lag some features:
> 1. I already run a OwnCloud server - why install and maintain another
> one? :D
> 2. I want to share my positions with certain people (within a certain
> time frame)
> 3. I want to transfer my positions encrypted
> 4. I want a simple cellphone app to send my positions periodically
> 5. I want a simple cellphone app to show me the positions of others on
> a map
> 6. I want a simple web app to show me the positions of others on a map
>

> For all features I want, OwnCloud seems the right choice:
>
> 1. Check
> 2. I think the ownCloud file sharing feature can be used for this?
> 3. HTTPS -> Check
> 4. Android/iOS Library -> Check
> 5. Android/iOS Library -> Check
> 6. OwnCloud / App Framework API -> Check
>
> What do you think?

I love this idea! It would be great if I could sync such data to my own
cloud. Right now I am using/testing gps4cam to determine GPS-data for
pictures I take.

I really would look forward to it, I wouldn't need to transfer such
sensitive data to dropbox... :-)
Are you planning a optional offline mode as well?

Best regards
Marcel

--
www.mrgeneration.de - The home of Anime