[owncloud-devel] Paid apps

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Fri Apr 25 11:42:12 GMT 2014

Hi all,

On 25/04/14 13:04, Michael Grosser wrote:
> As long as the apps are opensource (free software definition) efforts
> I would be ok with it. But closed source and non free software in the
> app store seems wrong in my eyes. I don't mind supporting great
> software, but I want to be free in using them.

actually it is not possible to distribute proprietary apps. ownCloud is
licensed under AGPLv3 and every app can be seen as a derivative work and
therefore needs to be licensed under a AGPLv3 compatible license.

Regarding the idea about making it possible to pay for the apps. I think
this would be really great, thanks Jan for bringing this up. It is
always good to provide easy ways to pay for Free Software. But I don't
know how this could be implemented from a technical and organizational
point of view. I could imagine, that it would generate quite some
overhead to provide this option and to manage all the payments. Does
someone already has experience with such systems. What would be needed
to make it possible to pay for apps at apps.owncloud.org?

cheers,
Björn

--