[owncloud-devel] Paid apps

Jan ten Bokkel jantenbokkel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:01:02 GMT 2014

Hi,

Bjoern Schiessle schreef op 25-4-2014 13:42:
> actually it is not possible to distribute proprietary apps. ownCloud
> is licensed under AGPLv3 and every app can be seen as a derivative
> work and therefore needs to be licensed under a AGPLv3 compatible
> license.

As far as I know that's only true for a shared code base, ownCloud can
be seen as a framework for cloud apps and provides an apps API to
establish that. The derivative work rule only applies if modifications
are made to the framework itself. There are plenty examples of
commercial, closed source software utilizing opensource frameworks.

Kind regards,
Jan ten Bokkel