[owncloud-devel] Bounties for better collaboration

Michael Grosser owncloud at seetheprogress.net
Tue Aug 5 14:59:08 GMT 2014

Hey,

TL;DR:
Bounties to enable everyone to contribute and push their favourite
features/issues further are now possible with ownCloud. All while
enabling contributors to earn a coffee while implementing OpenSource
Software.
(https://www.bountysource.com/teams/owncloud)

________________________________

Contributing time and resources into ownCloud was a great decision I
made a while back. At one point the focus shifted to infrastructure
(demo.owncloud.org, stats.owncloud.org etc.) and I had to reduce other
contributions as time is sparse. There are countless features I would
love to see improved.

I could study the appropriate language and framework, build those
features, and work on getting them merged into ownCloud. But all of
that takes time, which we all know can be hard to come by. Taking time
away from working on demo.owncloud.org is just not feasible. It's just
not effective for contributors to do everything. We are working on
free/open-source software partly so we can collaborate and move
forward more quickly. This lead me to look for a way to get
features/bugs fixed quickly. Something that would let me focus on
providing more than 9.5 million impressions just in 2014 for the
ownCloud demo and stats services and still support the features I
love.

Using the appealing concept of crowdfunding, I would love to see
Bounties used as a means to get more people engaged and move ownCloud
further. Bounties (a cash reward for implementing a feature, bug fix
or anything else) could bring a new way of collaboration. Not
everybody has time or the skillset to help out ownCloud directly or
implement a specific feature. This enables them to give something back
to the community without relying on them providing time and
experience. For some of us this could even mean to concentrate on
ownCloud related work to earn our coffee. A few bounties already exist
for ownCloud, like server-server sync/mirroring
(https://www.bountysource.com/issues/905996). I personally have
already been looking through the different issues on Bountysource
(https://www.bountysource.com/teams/owncloud/issues) to support the
features I care about.

With the help of Jos you now can contribute to the ownCloud team on
Bountysource (https://www.bountysource.com/teams/owncloud) directly,
which will fund the most requested and active issues or just push your
favourite feature forward. Or just look through all issues
(https://www.bountysource.com/teams/owncloud/issues).

Cheers
Michael (scalability-junk, stp-ip)

PS:
The additional time I get from collaborating is already used to work
on new demo infrastructure "Single user instances"
(https://www.bountysource.com/issues/3463043) and "Developer/unstable
demo version" (https://www.bountysource.com/issues/3463145).