[owncloud-devel] questions on Owncloud Client...

Mathieu Bourrier mathieu.bourrier at startmail.com
Fri Dec 26 23:59:49 GMT 2014

Hello Kindermann,

That is good timing as I began working on this feature recently.
As of now I'm working on the design of the solution ; you're welcome to join in if you're interested.

Some useful links :
- ongoing discussion with other people on the topic : https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/106#issuecomment-67778358
- the design document (this is a work in progress) : https://cloud.airmail.fr/public.php?service=files&t=a9fe1a55a59374dd6bc399f4ff4d60db

Also, if you're looking for the code of the server-side encryption that would be here :
https://github.com/owncloud/core/tree/master/apps/files_encryption

Doing client-side encryption is more than just porting code from the server to the client though.
It is not really about moving the encryption load from the server to the client : it is about moving the trust from the server to the client.
The fact that the server becomes an untrusted party changes a lot of things.

Anyway, looking forward to hear from you

Cheers,
Mathieu