[owncloud-devel] [OwnCloud-Packaging] ownCloud 6.0.2 planing

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Thu Feb 20 23:06:35 MET 2014

[replying to the 'wrong' msg, since sth went wrong with my mail]

On Thursday 20 February 2014 15:09:23 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
> The thing is that we are talking here about a minimal security and important
> bug fix release only. The changes in 6.0.2 are all developed, reviewed and
> tested in master already.

Again, it is not about the 6.0.2 release.

> Additionally they are individually selected for
> backporting to stable6 because we don't want to break things.

Excellent :-)

> The latest state of the stable6 branch can always be downloaded and tested
> in the daily build independently from an RC release.
> download.owncloud.org/community/owncloud-daily-stable6.tar.bz2

And here comes the core issue I was trying to make (but apparently failed).
You mentioned earlier in the mail that the changes are tested in master, but
you have to keep in mind *by whom*.
My guess is: (some of) the developers who make a living writing code for
owncloud and probably by the person who reported the issue that has been fixed.
My experience as developer tells me that most of the time when you fix a bug,
you test whether that bug is fixed and "that's it".
But my main point is, there are only a couple of ppl who verified that the bug
is fixed.

It's great that you offer the daily build of stable6.
But how many ppl, outside of the ppl who make a living writing code for
owncloud, use/test that? And how extensive is that testing? And does it
represent a good enough portion of how ppl use owncloud in production or
personal use?

That's where the importance of the pre-release phase, with alpha/beta/RC
releases, come into play. At that point the audience of ppl who can/want to
test it becomes MUCH wider. For example beta/RC releases are (usually?)
packaged for Debian and uploaded to the experimental archives.
And with that wider audience the chances that regressions/bugs are found is a
lot bigger, but you have to give ppl time for it, since most of them do it in
their free time besides work/family/etc life.

I hope I have made my point now and will shut up about it, before I get
(really) annoying ;-)

Cheers,
  Diederik
--