[owncloud-devel] ownCloud tag on StackOverflow

Lukas Reschke lukas at owncloud.org
Sun Jul 20 16:41:09 GMT 2014

> On 20 Jul 2014, at 12:57, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de> wrote:
>
> We have our own ownCloud forums to help each others.

Sure. But users and developers are different target groups.

By helping developers we gain:
1. A more attractive platform
2. More contributors
3. More apps
4. ...

> There are plenty of unanswered topics.

Because the questions there are often:

1. Unspecific
2. Without details
3. Often easily solvable by googling or just reading the documentation
4. Containing error messages in Chinese (I can’t read Chinese and I don’t want to waste my time translating error messages which are likely user errors)

This is why I’m not really active in the forum. There are just way to many people there that do not even understand the difference between a mail and a web server. Not beginning to speak of people who try to install oC on their 1$ “unlimited” webhoster package…

I consider our time better spent with helping potential contributors than helping somebody to setup their LAMP installation.

> Would be nice if you can spend some time at the forum before pleasing 3rd party platforms.
>
> Please visit https://forum.owncloud.org/ and help other users.

- Lukas