[owncloud-devel] ownCloud tag on StackOverflow

Vincent Petry pvince81 at owncloud.com
Mon Jul 21 08:17:59 GMT 2014

Hi,

If core developers spend their time reading and answering forums, IRC
and numerous other 3rd party platforms there will not be much time left
to do the actual coding and bugfixing.

There are already people from the forums that will forward bugs or
feature requests to the bug tracker, which I am grateful for and which
is very helpful.

This means that on every platform there should be at least one person
who is willing to help people, and point people to the bug tracker when
needed, whenever their problem is a bug and not a support/environment issue.

My personal focus is on Github and IRC (#owncloud and #owncloud-devel).
I already answer developer questions coming in from the owncloud-devel
mailing list.

So, who would like to focus on Stack overflow ?

Cheers,

Vincent

On 07/20/2014 08:16 PM, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> As Havoc Pennington said already in 2002:
> »Reading dozens of GNOME and Red Hat bugs per day, I find that users
> ask for a preference by default.«
>
> With any input from people we have to catalyze that into proper
> designs. And we’re doing a pretty good job at that. (If you want to
> help, join the design team: http://owncloud.org/contribute/design/ )
>
> And Mark – thank you so much for taking care of the forum! It wasn’t
> my intention to devalue it – it’s just that StackOverflow (as Lukas
> mentioned) is a different and important target group. We also need to
> use the platforms where other people go apart from our own,
> ownCloud-specific ones.
>

> On So 20 Jul 2014 20:10:40 CEST, Mark Ziegler wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Got your arguments and agree.
>>
>> One thing to note.
>> The discussions, the link, between developers and pure users are
>> important.
>> For sure it does not makes any fun to answer bad prepared questions of
>> "goony" users.
>> If developers are stayin' with themselfs it might result in a nerdy
>> piece of software, hard to configure, ugly to use.
>> The input of the ordinary user is invaluable.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark

>>> Sure. But users and developers are different target groups.
>>>
>>> By helping developers we gain:
>>> 1. A more attractive platform
>>> 2. More contributors
>>> 3. More apps
>>> 4. ...

>>> Because the questions there are often:
>>>
>>> 1. Unspecific
>>> 2. Without details
>>> 3. Often easily solvable by googling or just reading the documentation