[owncloud-devel] Owncloud 7.0 fresh install with Ubuntu 14.04.

Oliver Gasser oliver at flowriver.net
Thu Jul 24 11:37:42 GMT 2014

Hi Daniel,

On 07/24/2014 12:26 PM, Daniel Hansson wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Thanks for your input, I will definitely remove the *.log files in the
> next update.

Additionally, you can remove the file /home/ocadmin/Release.key.

> About the SSL, yes I understand. Not good practice, but still a solution
> to a problem. Do you have any other suggestions? :)

You can regenerate the snakeoil certificate dynamically when the system
is first started. This ensures that every installation has a unique SSL
private key. The command to regenerate the certificate and key is:

make-ssl-cert generate-default-snakeoil --force-overwrite

For running a script once at the next bootup you can do something like this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/19074/how-can-i-make-a-command-run-once-the-next-time-i-log-in

> Like I wrote, this is for users struggling with getting their
> self-signed SSL to work, and maybe don´t know so much about Linux, or
> setting up servers. I have made a earlier release of my own that I´ve
> spread on the internet, and I get like 5 requests per week asking for
> help with my instance. So yes, there is a need for this.
>
> If I take myself as an example I was introduced to Owncloud a little
> more than a year ago in the same way as I presented here. Now I´m an
> active user and contributor. The goal with this release is the same, get
> more people to like Owncloud and see the benefits, and also join the
> community to help make Owncloud even better.
>
> I kindly accept suggestions on how to make this .vmdk better. Non-good
> SSL practice I know, but is it better to just run HTTP and missing out
> on the benefits of using it in public? Sooner or later I think that you
> as the end-user realize that it´s better to buy your own certificate,
> and if you´re the slightest interested maybe you even build your own
> server and set it up from scratch, see this as a "practice-owncloud
> machine" to try it out.
>
> As I said, suggestions on impropements are more than welcome.
>
> Best Regards
> Daniel Hansson

Best regards,
Oliver