[owncloud-devel] ownCloud tag on StackOverflow

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:07:39 GMT 2014

On Thursday 24 July 2014 20:54:28 Mark Ziegler wrote:
> Am 24.07.14 12:35, schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> >>
> >> Developers should use whatever makes them productive.
> >>
> >> I would much prefer Askbot [1] over Stackoverflow as the official help
> >> channel for users. Askbot is GPLv3. Take a look at Fedora writeup [2].
> >> Q & A comes pretty natural to folks Askbot also supports Oauth so
> >> creating account takes hardly a second.
> >>
> >> It would be better in long term to officially consolidate the community.
> >>
> >> [1] https://askbot.com/
> >> [2] http://fedoramagazine.org/ask-fedora-getting-started-and-helping-out
> >
> > Askbot and ask fedora look nice. Mark, what do you think about this? It
> > would have the advantages of the forums but perhaps make it easier for
> > users to use?!?
>
> I have no experience with Askbot and after looking at their website I
> still have no tendency ...
>
> You said "easier for users to use". Do you mean joining and posting at a
> forum is a barrier?

Well, forum software is usually not super user friendly, askbot seemed quite
more 2014 to me and it is much more clearly focused on asking and answering
questions. With the views, the votes - I think it is nice.

But it is also different and I don't want to shove it down your throat,
please don't think that. Heck, somebody has to set it up, too, and that won't
be me so there's nothing I can do other than talk ;-)