[owncloud-devel] Owncloud 7.0 fresh install with Ubuntu 14.04.

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 19:15:06 GMT 2014

On Thursday 24 July 2014 16:36:46 Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Daniel Hansson <enoch85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Talked a little bit with Frank during the release about putting up a
> > pre-configured ownCloud instance for non-tech users
>
> The best thing that could happen to ownCloud would be what
> WordPress.org did with WordPress.com. WordPress.com is the service
> offered by Automattic inc. based on WordPress.org. It is best of both
> worlds.
Thing is - that means ownCloud Inc would do hosting. Do you know how hard it
is to make money on that? Think 'near impossible'. Problem is that you'd be
competing against Google - and Google can offer hosting cheaper than anybody
else, not just because they have very good, large-scale, cheap
infrastructure, but also because they can go below even their own costs
because it isn't their primary revenue stream.

Honestly, I think Dropbox, Box and other providers are already dead. No way
they can compete. Dropbox gets that and is buying companies like crazy in the
hope that one of them has some kind of silver bullet to keep them alive
through some innovative new feature. Consequently they are slowly catching up
to us on features (still behind...). But I don't think it will save them.

/J