[owncloud-devel] Owncloud 7.0 fresh install with Ubuntu 14.04.

Curtis Zimmerman czimmerman at ezoic.com
Thu Jul 24 20:13:48 GMT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Mark Ziegler <mark.ziegler at rakekniven.de>
wrote:

> But the most benefit of owncloud is "my data is at my home under my
> control"! Also if google allures me with 100 gb super fast space I will not
> take it. I live in germany and want to have my data under "my" law.

This. Definitely this.

My interest in owncloud is exclusively about keeping my data MINE. I've
been lurking for some months now but I feel compelled to add a +1 to this
point here. If OC had delta sync to support things like quick
synchronization of large encrypted volumes -- encrypted volumes being
Security 101 in today's world -- IMO every other product would be playing
the catch-up game, and absolutely nothing could beat it. I deactivated my
Dropbox accounts even while using some encrypted volumes on it because
*requiring* the end user to cede control of the location of the data was
too much to bear.

> So hosting is not a market. Better sell ready to use raspberries with
> owncloud installed. Make it easy to setup and get a partnership with some
> dyndns provider.

Something interesting about this raspberry point... I used to work for a
company which develops a very popular open source Unix-based firewall.
There were too few resources inside the company (and too many existing
resources tangled up in side projects) to move forward quickly on this
idea, but it was definitely recognized as the next big thing to sell to
grandma and grandpa to replace or complement their existing wireless router
or home ISP setup. A small piece of hardware loaded up with open source
products like SquirrelMail and FreePBX and of course OwnCloud. I believe
it's a killer app, really. Also, there exists at least one company which is
selling a product exactly like this on the market now, though I can't seem
to remember who they are.

-curtisz