[owncloud-devel] reddit thread: Sync daemon on server?

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Mon Jul 28 10:43:20 GMT 2014

On 28.07.2014 11:48, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> I’m at GUADEC (the GNOME conference) at the moment and someone pointed
> me to this reddit thread on the ownCloud 7 release:
> http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2biaeh/owncloud_7_released/cj5n5bq
>
> The main comment says:
>
>> It still needs a proper syncing daemon on a server. Having the client
> machine handle all of the syncing isn't good for performance. I was
> using Owncloud 5 and I remember trying to sync a computer with about
> 60-100 GB worth of iPhone pictures stored on a Windows machine (Don't
> kill me, this was a friends computer). The whole process hung 20 gigs
> in, couldn't index any more than that, and the entire process took all
> of the life out of my friends laptop.

This is, sorry to say that, not hitting the point. No, we do not need a
syncing daemon, ownCloud has a different architecture currently, and I
do not see how a daemon would benefit us at all. Also, it makes sense to
put computing tasks on clients rather than on servers, very generally
spoken, guess why JS is cool nowadays?

What he might mean is that we could improve the "protocol" between
client and server to improve performance, and we did a lot  compared to
oC 5 and its sync clients. And we will do more over time of course.

It would be helpful if people would use their time and energy to ask
concrete questions and make kind of thought through proposals. And care
to update to take advantage of improvements :-D

regards,
Klaas