[owncloud-devel] reddit thread: Sync daemon on server?

Sven Dzepina sdze at icloud.com
Mon Jul 28 12:38:48 GMT 2014

> Am 28.07.2014 um 14:29 schrieb Olivier Goffart <ogoffart at owncloud.com>:
>
> What makes you think that?

A daemon is nothing else than a "script" running infinite on the server in background to check for changes. Ok.

You can do that in PHP too. The client requests the server via one GET like /serverside_changes.php

This script has a loop
while(1) {
 check_changes();
 Sleep(1); // relax CPU
}

The client requests this and the connection stays open as long as the server does not close it.

> Currently we do a GET on the server every 30 seconds to see if anything has
> changed.
> That GET request should be quite cheap.
>
> A deamon would allow us to see the change earlier than in 30 seconds, but is
> that really needed?

See above.
You would get near instant (1s delay + computation time at max) results of changes from the server within the "eventstream". This is a technology already utilised on the web front end of oC.