[owncloud-devel] Viewing medical DICOM images with ownCloud

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Jul 29 07:29:59 GMT 2014

On 28.07.2014 17:03, Aaron Boxer wrote:
>  I would like to store and view medical DICOM images on ownCloud.
> DICOM images require a special viewer to view the files: I am currently
> building a web viewer for DICOM.
Very cool. This is a nice usecase where ownCloud shows its power as
application development framework: In your DICOM app you wont have to
care about stuff like user management, storage handling, the general web
app stuff, versioning and so on, all provided by ownCloud.

Especially ownClouds sharing capabilities will give your app so much
benefit right away because the oC users can easily share interesting
pictures with each other and ... asking for comments?

That said, a comment feature would be a good addition for sharing in
general: Stick a "post-it" to a shared file telling the sharer what you
think.

> I am posting to see what would it would take to add this functionality:
> when a user clicks a DICOM image ( with tag .dcm), they would see
> a thumbnail picture of the image. When the user double clicks,
> a new tab would be launched with the image name and some meta
> data passed in as paramaters.
I think that is basically a "viewer" functionality which should be not
too hard to do. There are a couple of viewer apps around. Maybe the
files_pdfviewer is a good example to start [1] to look into some code,
but the server guys can maybe recommend a better example.

I think this is an exciting idea, but I am biased because I used to work
on a document management system for hospitals back in the days ;)

have fun,

Klaas

[1] https://github.com/owncloud/files_pdfviewer