[owncloud-devel] Viewing medical DICOM images with ownCloud

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Tue Jul 29 17:04:03 GMT 2014

On 29.07.2014 18:04, Aaron Boxer wrote:
Hi,

> I think this is the future for medical image/document management.
>
> Of course, images are still stored mostly on PACS DICOM archives.
> But it would be interesting to federate ownCloud with a PACS server:
> images on ownCloud would be symlinks to the actual images on the PACS,
> and clicking them would pull them down and display them. And ownCloud
> could cache the images for a defined period of time, so performance would
> be good
> for the next view.
Yes, this caching functionality could be in the DICOM app. Another way
would be to write an external storage module for ownCloud for the PACS
archive. Since there are some out there that might be an interesting case.

> I have a lot of other ideas. But first, I need to figure out how to simply
> display DICOM images.

I am sure you have realized that there are a couple of free DICOM
libraries for Javascript on Gibhub, such as
https://github.com/mi-kas/webDICOM
https://github.com/Infogosoft/jsdicom

regards,

Klaas