[owncloud-devel] Viewing medical DICOM images with ownCloud

Aaron Boxer boxerab at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:06:06 GMT 2014

Hi Klaas,

> Of course, images are still stored mostly on PACS DICOM archives.
> > But it would be interesting to federate ownCloud with a PACS server:
> > images on ownCloud would be symlinks to the actual images on the PACS,
> > and clicking them would pull them down and display them. And ownCloud
> > could cache the images for a defined period of time, so performance would
> > be good
> > for the next view.
> Yes, this caching functionality could be in the DICOM app. Another way
> would be to write an external storage module for ownCloud for the PACS
> archive. Since there are some out there that might be an interesting case.

Yes, good idea. I will look into this as well. The next generation PACS
will support
search, store and fetch via HTTP, so the interface willl already be there.

> > I have a lot of other ideas. But first, I need to figure out how to
> simply
> > display DICOM images.
>
> I am sure you have realized that there are a couple of free DICOM
> libraries for Javascript on Gibhub, such as
> https://github.com/mi-kas/webDICOM
> https://github.com/Infogosoft/jsdicom

Yes, there are a lot of web dicom projects out there. Unfortunately, almost
all of them are
not very well implemented. The only project that I have found that is well
designed and performant is
this one:  https://github.com/chafey/cornerstone

I am going to be building my viewer on top of this library.

Cheers,
Aaron