[owncloud-devel] ownbook

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Thu Jun 19 17:31:08 GMT 2014

On 19.06.2014 18:57, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> It's more of an ownOS maybe

Frankly, we already have an ownOS. Lot's of them, acutally. They all
use GNU/Linux and server different usage cases. Given, ChromeOS is one
of them, but being in the hand of Google the value for free software
is limited.

My experience with ChromeOS is extremely shallow, but what I wonder
about is that why would this ownBook not be build open "real", or
better more independent free software as it is existing.

I.e. a solid distribution, maybe a lean LXDE Qt (if a simple but fast
desktop is the goal) on top and mimicking the wanted features of
ChromeOS. And innovating on top of that. Maybe it makes even more
sense to help make $FAVORITE_DISTRIBUTION total-cloud-enabled. At
least you can scan and print properly :D [1]

I do not want to take enthusiasm away, and I also maybe totally wrong,
but maybe it is worth to think about this.

> A crucial point in this is offline capability of the ownCloud web
> app. Without apps working offline, a Chromebook is of very limited
> use.

Totally agree with Jan!

Also, I think, Documents would be a key component.

Actually, I did not intend to flip my 50¢ here, because I do not have
time to contribute on this. But now I did it^^

Cheers
Arthur

[1] Datamation: Google Chrome OS vs. Ubuntu
http://www.datamation.com/open-source/google-chrome-os-vs.-ubuntu-page-2.html

- --
XMPP: blizzz at jabber.arthur-schiwon.de