[owncloud-devel] Syncing with the new Shared model

Bjoern Schiessle schiessle at owncloud.com
Fri Jun 20 14:48:06 GMT 2014

Hi Olivier,

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014 12:46:58 +0200 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> ownCloud 7 is about to introduce a new model for shared folder.
> Please someone correct me if i am wrong:
>
> - In ownCloud 6, all shared folder were sub-folders of the "Shared/"
> directory
> - In ownCloud 7, shared folders first appears as 'normal' folder in
> the root directory, but the user can then move them anywhere.

that's correct.

> So the question is:  Should we really try to support moving the
> shared directory from the client?

I think we should try to support it. Organizing your shares freely was
one of the main goal for the changes. It would be really bad if it would
only work for the web interface.

> Should we try to get more elaborate algorithm to detect moves in
> order to get this use case properly (tree comparison)?

Probably we have to think about it.

If I understood you correctly this is only a issue if changes happen on
the client side while the sync client doesn't run.
Maybe we could split-up the sync client in two components. One
component could by a small daemon who gets started with the system and
monitors the changes to the file system. If the user starts the
ownCloud sync client we could ask the daemon what happened. Sure, the
admin could still stop the daemon. But that's something different from
closing a application in the system tray.

That's just a random idea I had in mind while reading your mail. The
main idea is to always track file system changes, even if the user
decides to stop the sync client for some reasons (e.g. because he is
in a local network and don't want that the sync client tries to
re-connect again and again). I don't know much about the internals of
the sync client. Maybe it is a bad idea.

> Should we ignore this problem as a corner case? (IMHO not, because
> its implication are bad enough).

I don't think we should ignore it. Sharing documents by accident can be
really painful. This should be avoided at all costs.

cheers,
Björn

--
Björn Schießle <schiessle at owncloud.com>