[owncloud-devel] Renaming of users datadir

Roland Hager roland.hager at tu-berlin.de
Tue Jun 24 18:26:18 GMT 2014

Dear community,

We're using OC 5 and ldap as user backend. We initially left the Option
"User Home Folder Naming Rule" blank to use the default (LDAP-UUID) as
folder name for each user within the datadir. Now we need to use the
normal username (uid) as folder name. The base datadir will stay the same.

So instead of

   datadir/38f64198-859a-1033-6d5f-73d38bcac4c7/

the folder should be named like

   datadir/john.doe/

What we are going to do is the following:

   1. Turn on maintenance mode to prevent files changing while moving
the folders.
   2. Change the LDAP-Option "User Home Folder Naming Rule" to uid.
   3. Move each users folder from UUID => uid
       (e.g.  datadir/38f64198-859a-1033-6d5f-73d38bcac4c7 to
datadir/john.doe/)
   4. Change the path within the field "id"  of each users "oc_staorage"
entry to match the new folder name.
       (e.g. "local::/datadir/38f64198-859a-1033-6d5f-73d38bcac4c7/" to
"local::/datadir/john.doe/").
   5. Turn off maintenance mode and pray :-)

We did this in our testing environment and did not face any problems.
The testusers could still access their datadir and all shares seemed to
be intact and accessible too. We only use the files, gallery, and music
app but neither calendar nor contacts.

Is there something else we should change in the database? Anything we
should take care about?

Thanks in advance
Roland Hager