[owncloud-devel] Renaming of folders on IIS

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Tue Mar 4 09:44:52 MET 2014

On 03.03.2014, at 23:58, Martin Krichenbauer <martin at endlichfreitag.de> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> after this full quoted mail I unsubscribed devel-list. But now I subscribe again to talk to you guys.
> Im just wondering if this is the meaning of open source.
>
> There was a time, when I renamed a folder in owncloud, the stuff got downloaded again in his full size. Not nice but ok. Then one or some devs wrote a renaming function, wich is ment to not download everything again and is actualizing the database and everything. Sounds nice, seems to be working.
>
> But there must be a little mistake in the code. When you are running an IIS and you rename a folder on clientside having a space in the name of the folder, the renaming feature goes wild and deletes all the stuff in the folder (actually it doesn’t move files on serevrsite and destroys the db entries of the files in the renamed folder).
>
> It works fine when there is no space in it, it deletes when there is one. Having a german user, who creates an folder, wich is used to have the name "Neuer Ordner" in it in german Windows, there is an space in it so the disaster is there even with a "no space" policy.
>
> I have this prob in the forum, the bugtracker github and the mailing list. There are people who have the same prob. But no one cares.
>
> So is this the meaning of open source, that something is working, then it gets optimized and its buggy, no one takes care of it?
> I want to know who made this renaming stuff and how to disable that crab, because it deleted me tons of files and all my users got angry.
>
> If someone wants to take care now, write me you get more Informations and access to a test environment. Llinks to Bugtracker are below.
>
> Thx, Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks a lot for your feedback. Perhaps we have a different understanding of open source. Open source means free licenses, an open development process, an open community and so on.
Unfortunately it doesn't mean that there are no bugs. I wish but the truth is that there are bugs.

But the good news about open source is that everyone can help to find the bugs and even contribute to fix them. So if you have some time to track this problem down and perhaps submit a patch then this would be super helpful and totally in the spirit of open source.

Thanks a lot.

Frank