[owncloud-devel] Shortcut to Sync folder

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Sun Mar 23 16:36:27 MET 2014

Hi Barry,

Am 23.03.2014 um 16:24 schrieb JORDAN, Barry A:

> I'm aware that installing and setting up the desktop client in Windows 7 creates a shortcut to the sync folder in the favourites area in Windows Explorer. However, in Windows XP there is no equivalent to the Favourite section. The sync folder is buried within the user's profile folder, which most inexperienced users are unaware of.
> Is there a way within the code that I can modify that can create a shortcut to the sync folder on the user's desktop? Similar to the shortcut that is created for the desktop client application.

The code is in src/mirall/utility_win.cpp (static void setupFavLink_private(const QString &folder)):

It creates a link that's basically pathof(CSIDL_PROFILE)\Links\$folderName.lnk.

This means that either \Links\ is not evaluated on XP, or the following MSDN comment applies in your case:

"Be careful with CSIDL_PROFILE in Windows XP when calling from the first logged in user account in session 0 (example: Administrator account.) CSIDL_PROFILE can be translated to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile". In case you are expecting "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator" it is safe to use GetUserProfileDirectory API."
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb762494(v=vs.85).aspx)

HTH,
  Daniel

PS: If you come up with patches not specific to your theme, please let us know, so we can put them upstream.