[owncloud-devel] Paid apps

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon May 5 08:58:01 GMT 2014

On Friday 25 April 2014 13:42:12 Bjoern Schiessle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On 25/04/14 13:04, Michael Grosser wrote:
> > As long as the apps are opensource (free software definition) efforts
> > I would be ok with it. But closed source and non free software in the
> > app store seems wrong in my eyes. I don't mind supporting great
> > software, but I want to be free in using them.
>
> actually it is not possible to distribute proprietary apps. ownCloud is
> licensed under AGPLv3 and every app can be seen as a derivative work and
> therefore needs to be licensed under a AGPLv3 compatible license.

I am wondering if Inc, having the copyright to at least the core, would be
able to grant an exception to the AGPL in this regard. I'm no huge fan of
proprietary software, but perhaps having the ability to have proprietary apps
(for a fee!) for ownCloud could help us in our world domination plans; and
the fee could be used to further development, of course.

Finding the answer to this question will require lawyering and, if it is
possible, a conversation with Inc to see if this is something they can/want
to handle/get into.

Is it worth it? I mean, even if it IS possible, do we actually want this? And
if we do, do we want to put in the effort to make it possible?

I am inclined to say 'no' until there seems to be a real need/demand for (and
willingness to pay for!) closed apps.

> Regarding the idea about making it possible to pay for the apps. I think
> this would be really great, thanks Jan for bringing this up. It is
> always good to provide easy ways to pay for Free Software. But I don't
> know how this could be implemented from a technical and organizational
> point of view. I could imagine, that it would generate quite some
> overhead to provide this option and to manage all the payments. Does
> someone already has experience with such systems. What would be needed
> to make it possible to pay for apps at apps.owncloud.org?

I guess adding a flattr button or donate button going to paypal won't be too
hard, but as soon as you start talking about actually handling money - that
is a very painful thing for sure. Small payments (anything below USD 20) are
very hard to handle.