[owncloud-devel] ownCloud and FirefoxOS

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Fri May 9 11:50:55 GMT 2014

Hey there,

good question actually. Currently there is no plan to create an
ownCloud app for Firefox OS, neither am I aware of anyone building
something like that. However, there are some other efforts in that
direction:

* With ownCloud 7, most of the web interface (Files, sharing, Pictures,
Music, Personal settings, etc.) is responsive and works nicely on
mobile / small screens (tablets or smartphones). Since lots of Firefox
apps are also just links to web apps, it’s essentially the same. The
problem of course is that we can’t make »the one« ownCloud app because
everyone’s ownCloud is at a different location. (Essentially box.net’s
Firefox OS app does it just like that – it’s just a link to their web
service)

* As part of the Outreach Program for Women, Lyndsey (in CC) is working
on a »Camera backup app« for Firefox OS. This app will be like the
instant upload functionality in the Android app – pictures you take are
automatically uploaded to your ownCloud. Browsing functionality is not
planned yet.

* The stock Firefox OS Calendar app can sync with ownCloud Calendar
(just use the CalDAV address from the Calendar settings) – I think
Firefox OS Contacts unfortunately does not support CardDAV yet.

* There are already two other apps which sync with ownCloud News (/ RSS
reader): https://marketplace.firefox.com/search?q=owncloud both are
open source as well.

* If there is a generic WebDAV app for Firefox OS, that could be used
too. I am not aware of one at the moment though.

While that doesn’t help much, I hope it brings light to the question. ;)