[owncloud-devel] Owncloud contacts and address stickers

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Fri Nov 28 10:49:16 GMT 2014

Dear Owncloud developers.

Some months ago, I filed bug 284.
(https://github.com/owncloud/contacts/issues/284) It is relating to the way
owncloud updates (or doesn't update) the Address Label field in vcards. This
field is used by many address-sticker programms like for instance Glabels. I
would like to be able to download a subset of my contacts as a vcf file,
import them in to Glabels and print address stickers very easily.

However, the interest in this bug is not very high. (Basically, just me at
the moment:-)
So I'm looking into adding this to owncloud myself. It would greatly enhance
the capability of printing address labels and I can't imagine there is no
one else with a usecase for this (Hint, christmas card season is coming!)

In order to have this working correctly the address should be formatted
according to the local situation.
I live in the Netherlands and addresses are formatted differently than for
instance in the USA.
Also if an address is in another country, it should pick that up and format
it accordingly.

I already downloaded the evolution sourcecode and found the code that is
responsible for constructing the address labels and their country specific
formats. They use a address_formats.dat file to list all countries and their
official address layout.

I'd now need to add this to owncloud. There are two possibilities. Do this
everytime when updating the address field, and doing this when exporting to
vcf. Which would be best in your view?

Also I'm still struggling to understand the owncloud source. php is not my
strongsuit:-(
Can anyone give some guidance? Where would I need to hook into the code that
saves the vcf files? Or where is the code to store the fields in the
database?

Kind regards,

Bert Haverkamp

P.S. I hope this wont become a double-post. My first post was rejected
because I sent it before subscribing to the mailing-list.