[owncloud-devel] Encryption and file size

Vincent Petry pvince81 at owncloud.com
Wed Sep 3 07:47:45 GMT 2014

Hello,

Encryption does increase the file size. From what I remember a 6126
bytes unencrypted block becomes a 8192 encrypted block, so that would
give about 8192/6126=1,3372511 which is about 34% increase, which is a
bit more than I expected...

Also the files seem to be stored in base64 for some reason instead of
binary.
I raised this issue https://github.com/owncloud/core/issues/10831 to
look into using a binary format instead of the base64 to reduce the size
increase.

Cheers,

Vincent