[owncloud-devel] Bounties for better collaboration

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Mon Sep 22 19:05:14 GMT 2014

On 22.09.2014 20:16, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2014 00:11:24 Michael Grosser wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> I think it totally depends.
>> Bounties are a way to support issues being fixed (in the simplest
>> way), if it happens to be an ownCloud developer either it's a bonus, a
>> ownCloud Inc revenue stream or (as most projects do these give it back
>> to the community team - claiming on behalf of a team is on the roadmap
>> it seems).
>
> Yeah, if a paid engineer implements a bounty, the money should go in the
> pool. We can perhaps use it to pay for coffee and pizza at the next ownCloud
> Conference!

Hmm, with what reasoning? A lot of people working on free software are
"paid engineers", in whatever company. But most of them are bound to
what their bosses want them to do. Again, in the most companies, and
also in the ownCloud company. So you need to be more accurate: IF the
feature was on the company-todo list of the paid oC developer, that
makes no bounty, no doubt about that. If the same dev does it on a rainy
sunday, and the feature is not on the todo, why would she not get the
bounty?

So yes, bounties. You get the point why I dislike that idea? They put
the whole thing of contributing to free software into a wrong light in
my opinion.

Consider this benefits if you contribute:
- potentially millions of people use code that you wrote and like it.
That is a huge amount of positive energy :)
- in free software projects, the top skilled people of our profession
come together, that is proofed. You meet them and get them to know.
- you learn from them for free, and in whatever flavor of computer
science you want
- you learn how to work with international teams
- you learn social skills
- you learn to read lengthy emails like this
- you learn soo much other stuff
- you go to nice cities and meet crazy guys and party (or not)
- your opportunities when looking for a serious job are hugely good.
- you have so much fun in the evenings and don't have to watch TV
- more...

Compare that benefits to the bounty dollars.

We should donate all the bounties to projects that need the money, or
rather convince the people who donate to the bounties to give the money
to "Médecins sans Frontières" [1] (or such) right away.

That is what I think.

Klaas

[1] https://www.aerzte-ohne-grenzen.de/mitarbeiten/english