[owncloud-devel] Regarding teh "homeCloud" device

Daniel Hansson enoch85 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 04:24:19 GMT 2015

Hi all,

You may know me as enoch85 on GitHub and the rest of the ownCloud
community, I'm the guy with the VMs. So naturally when I saw this project I
was tempted to give it a try.

My idea(s) are quite simple. I know some devs that would be interested in
helping me with making a web GUI, so that when you plugin the rPi, it will
guide you through the installation process in the browser rather than a
boring and complicated terminal. That is downloading the latest version and
install needed dependencies and what else is needed for ownCloud to run on
a rPi. The only thing the end user will have to do is to make the last
configuration - enter username, and choose a password. Another idea is to
pre-configure the SD card so that when the rPi boots for the first time
everything is already on it. This would require some manpower to copy the
stuff over to the SD cards, but I'm sure there are smart ways of doing that
as well. Of course there will be a installation guide, well written,
included in the package in both cases.

Anyway, this is what I can come up with straight out of my head. I'm used
to making VMs since before, but I have to admit that I never touched a rPi.
That's why it's hard to imagine the environment to work in - I mean I don't
know the limitations other than hardware. But I'm more than willing to try
it out and test my ideas on a prototype kit. Maybe the outcome will be
something even better than I had expected.

It would be very cool to create something that many end users will use - as
today, with the VMs. As a matter a fact I asked my mother to install the
ownCloud VM I made, and she succeeded. What I'm trying to say is, that my
aim has always been to make it as simple as possible. And that will be my
aim on this project as well.

If I'm not the "winner" so be it. I really hope that the 10 devices will
come in good hands, so that this will be the next big step for ownCloud -
with the best possible outcome. I really think this is a great opportunity
for ownCloud to become something more than "just" (it's very much more than
"just") ownCloud. I can imagine "ownCloud meets HTPC", were people use
their home device to sync all their music and movies, and if they travel
they can reach it from all around the world, why not. The possibilities are
endless, that's how I feel anyway.

Good luck everybody! Thank you for reading.

Daniel Hansson

Webb: www.en0ch.se
Mail: daniel at en0ch.se