[owncloud-devel] [Idea] Easier linux client install

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Sun Dec 13 18:46:42 GMT 2015

On 13.12.2015 18:09, Michel Memeteau - EKIMIA wrote:
> Hi ownclouders ( first message here )
>
>   When a linux user wants to install the lastest owncloud client, he's
> in front of this page http://bit.ly/1RiM3cO which is REALLY too
> difficult for the average user.

:-(
That really touches me. As somebody coming from the cave where we had to
install packages on commandline, hoping that the binary dependencies are
fulfilled finally, I am sad to hear your words. We thought we created
something really nice with the page you mentioned. And probably it was,
back in the days.

But anyway, you are probably right.

>   As we (all) want linux to become as easier as other OS, publishers
> also need an effort to simplify installating their software.
>
>   Google has good approach when distributing its software like
> https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

What *exactly* do you feel is a good approach? And what exactly is it
that makes our approach complicated?

>   Which propose 4 binairies ( 32/64 deb/rpm ) and the Preinst script
> adds the key + the repository.

We build our packages the way that they base on the libraries brought by
the linux they are running on. Other 3rd party vendors often do not do
that but package all what their application needs into the download
package. That results in big download packages which install to /opt,
but these do not need to be so system specific (ie. only 32/64 bit times
deb or rpm). I am against doing that for ownCloud Client, for good reasons.

It has disadvantages which concern system security. And here is why:
Distributions are very very careful and proactive in shipping updates
for their distro packages. If there is a security issue with a lib, the
security guys at the distros know that before they become public
knowledge, fix the problem, and ship a fix lib before the problem
becomes known in the wild.

3rdparty vendors seldom have the staff nor the time or interest to do
that. They ship once, and usually do not care for the shipped libs
later. What the users end up with are bundled libs in a more or less
secure state. That often is no problem, but also counts for stuff like
openssl.

I never wanted that for ownCloud Client, but rather work with the
distros as good as we ever can.

That was a bit of a sidetrack, as that was not your initial question.
You maybe only want a wrapper around the key downloading, installing and
repo registering. That is something we could think about...

The royal solution for me however would be if 3rdparty vendors like us
could better work with the distro package managers. So that it would be
a more natural process to register repos like ours via the distros
package managers. Something like an "enable the ownCloud Software
Repository" checkbox in the package managers gui, and, voila, the
packages come from our repos.

But that will probably remain an entry on the Christmas wishlist forever :-/

regards,

Klaas