[owncloud-devel] Western Digital proposal

suechtla suechtla at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 15:16:26 GMT 2015

Hi,

I read the article about the PiDrive and like to contribute a bit.

As I am studying electronics and interested in IT and networking stuff, I
am familiar with software development and its problems. Unfortunatly I do
not like writing code. My contributions are looking towards hardware and
networking.
Actually I am using ownCloud on a standard x86 server, installed via the
ubuntu-packages, without any special config. That is everything i had to do
with ownCloud up to now. A typical user :D

Nevertheless I want to share my opinion concerning the PiDrive:

First of all I have a raspberry pi and a few colleagues also have one, I
discovered huge problem with them: our raspberry pi's are eating SD cards,
especially by power out-takes!
If I would be a user of this device, I do not want to search for the
problem and/or buy a new SD card, because my children occasionally pulled
out the powerplug.

Secondly, the raspberry pi has a bottleneck, its 100Mbit ethernet and its
USB port. The CPU has only one USB-Host port and everything, including
ethernet and the HDD data has to go thought this. As of today HDDs (and of
course SSDs) are much faster than these interfaces.

As a conclusion it would be great if there is a second platform (or the RPi
is replaced by another SBC). An example would be a platform from
hardkernel/ODROID. Those guys supply SBCs with GBit ethernet, eMMC and USB3
options. The USB3 variant called ODROID-XU4 looks great to me.

Finally, I just want to make clear, that I will not write any code, as I do
not have the right skills and time to do this. Therefore I am not applying
for the challenge.

I just want to share and discuss my opinions and maybe act as a beta tester
for the system.

Greetings and good luck everybody!

David