[owncloud-devel] Western Digital Proposal

Michal Hrusecky michal at hrusecky.net
Tue Dec 15 08:01:21 GMT 2015

Hi,

I would like to enter Western Digital contest :-) Here is my proposal of
what I would do with PiDrive. I would create openSUSE based image for it
with ownCloud setup and few extra features.

One feature I really like to have integrated in the image is movie
playback. So you can connect your PiDrive to your TV and via web browser
play movies stored on your drive. I have some alpha version of the
application running at home[1], so would integrate it, maybe extend it
and test it on PiDrive.

I would also play with avahi to publish some information about the
PiDrive on the network. I played with it long time ago, I know there is
plenty of stuff you can publish, but not really sure what makes sense,
so would need to reiterate on that, in theory some computers should be
able to autodiscover the PiDrive afterwards.

Other feature I would like to include is to set it up in a way that
there will be also some other access at least to the local files. What
I'm thinking about is ftp server sharing users database and allowing
direct access to the files. Or maybe localhost mounted wdfs exported via
ftp/ssh so rsync would be possible. But this needs some experimenting
and probably some configuration via web interface.

Doing some samba shares/publish name over samba would be great, but have
only limited experience with samba and have no windows machine to test
against, so I can try after the stuff mentioned before, but can't
promise given limited time and experience.

What do you think?

[1] http://michal.hrusecky.net/2015/10/introducing-octv-owncloud-arm-old-tv/