[owncloud-devel] Western Digital Proposal

Michal Hrusecky michal at hrusecky.net
Tue Dec 15 10:27:51 GMT 2015

Michal Hrusecky -  9:01 15.12.15 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to enter Western Digital contest :-) Here is my proposal of
> what I would do with PiDrive. I would create openSUSE based image for it
> with ownCloud setup and few extra features.
>
> One feature I really like to have integrated in the image is movie
> playback. So you can connect your PiDrive to your TV and via web browser
> play movies stored on your drive. I have some alpha version of the
> application running at home[1], so would integrate it, maybe extend it
> and test it on PiDrive.
>
> I would also play with avahi to publish some information about the
> PiDrive on the network. I played with it long time ago, I know there is
> plenty of stuff you can publish, but not really sure what makes sense,
> so would need to reiterate on that, in theory some computers should be
> able to autodiscover the PiDrive afterwards.
>
> Other feature I would like to include is to set it up in a way that
> there will be also some other access at least to the local files. What
> I'm thinking about is ftp server sharing users database and allowing
> direct access to the files. Or maybe localhost mounted wdfs exported via
> ftp/ssh so rsync would be possible. But this needs some experimenting
> and probably some configuration via web interface.
>
> Doing some samba shares/publish name over samba would be great, but have
> only limited experience with samba and have no windows machine to test
> against, so I can try after the stuff mentioned before, but can't
> promise given limited time and experience.

During the discussion, I realized I would also try to add some easy
means to configure and give the PiDrive IPv6 connectivity so it can be
optionally accessed really worldwide. It is universal solution as quite
some users nowadays no longer have public IP and it will also promote
the importance of using not obsolete technologies like IPv4 :-)