[owncloud-devel] ownCloud-Western Digital proposal

Efstathios Iosifidis iefstathios at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:46:14 GMT 2015

We are Alex-P. Natsios[1], Salih Emin[2], Stathis Iosifidis[3] and
Thanos Tryfonidis[4]. We saw the article on the blog about Western
Digital and ownCloud team up and we think that it's a great project to
bring ownCloud to home users.

We think that the project's timeline (1-1.5 month) is a bit too short
and we would like to extend it to 2-2.5 months.

Here is our short overview of the Project plan:

The general idea is to modify the current "Owncloud Sync" app to be
the Control center of the WDSata+Raspberry PI+owncloud Hub.

1. We will be adding a button to the syncing software. When the user
installs and lauches the software, he will be presented with a welcome
screen plus the network discovery button that will scan the network
and find the IP and important details of the WD-oC box.
Primary goal would be  to build a feature that will be linking the
user's computer with the box (and adding it as a cloud drive option).

2. Considering this is going to be an average joe user device (family
cloud?) the point is for the image and the overall maintainance
process to be as transparent to the user as possible.
(Including the security and backing up of the user's important data).
That means that the base chosen will have to most likely be an example
of an LTS or generally stable distro that can be deployed and
configured in a hussle free and reproducible way to both create the
"stock" first image and provide important updates in the future.

3. ownCloud and the rest of the web interfaces will probably be
running in a traditional LAMP stack (specifics to be discussed while
working on this, seeing the toll it will have on the pi and where/what
can be shaved off), plus most likely a service like Avahi/mDNS for
local network discoverability (and samba if the user machine is a
windows one).

4. We will pack the downloadable image for the community.

5. It would be better to work on an own github repo under the ownCloud
organization than have all teams or individuals work on the same repos
separated by folders ( makes both access and working easier for
everyone in our opinion ).

[1]: https://github.com/drakevr/
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SalihEmin
[3]: https://en.opensuse.org/User:Diamond_gr