[owncloud-devel] PiDrive proposal: merged solution?

Alexey Volkov alexey at onmydisk.com
Thu Dec 17 15:13:20 GMT 2015

Hi all,

What do you think of merging two solutions proposed by Petros Angelatos  (
redis.io)
https://mailman.owncloud.org/pipermail/devel/2015-December/001820.html
and from our team?
https://mailman.owncloud.org/pipermail/devel/2015-December/001796.html

Our solution is based on minimal OS built manually with Buildroot, and this
part is not covered good enough yet. Redis.io is definitely superior here.
But our approach is less resource hungry since we do not need http/php
running on board, we run our lightweight "back-end"  which performs FUSE
file operations over the SSL channel. RPi filesystem is mounted on server,
where ownCloud "sees" it as local file system. It works for any complex
network configurations, bypasses NATs/firewalls  and runs also on v1 boards.

Yes, user should trust the service, but we can make WD- or even
community-controlled service like https://<your_uid>.pidrive.org or
whatever.  User just registers at service, types the board id under the
user's profile, and that is all - ownCloud GUI with your data hosted on
your RPi. And also PCs are supported, so user can access all his data in a
single entry point.  And in v2 of our protocol we will bring up p2p
cross-mounting capabilities to avoid relaying data through the server.

As I told, we have a prototype working, but such hot things like multiple
boards support, host OS updates, data backup are not implemented yet. In
collaboration with redis.io we could make it really good.

What do you think?
--
Kind regards / Lep pozdrav / С уважением,
Alexey Volkov,