[owncloud-devel] Wester Digital Appliance

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 17:13:33 GMT 2015

On Tuesday 15 December 2015 10:40:49 Christian Rost wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> a few days ago I read the blog on owncloud.org about the
> WD-ownCloud-Appliance and was really excited to read all the proposals.
>
> First a few words about myself. I'm Christian, Linux Consultant and
> Trainer at B1 Systems, located near Ingolstadt, Germany. I did a few
> ownCloud Projects so I know the Software and the code.
>
> Well, I decided to write my thought down because in my humble opionon
> this should keept as simple as possible, so everybody all over the
> world, no matter what experience should be able to buy the parts and use
> it without knowing anything about ownCloud / linux and all the other
> parts behind the GUI.
>
> As in the blog mentioned there is already an image which can be used but
> there is manual coniguration with keyboard / tv needed.
>
> So the goal is to do this automatically.
>
> Why not using this image and create a simple webconfig tool where the
> user can submit all necessary information. And a confiurationscript or
> configurationsoftware (puppet etc.) will take care that everything is
> configured in a proper way?
>
> After initial boot the user connect the Pi to TV/Screen and get a
> message like "please open browser and got to 192.168..... to start
> webconfig tool" or we develop a small tool which can autodiscover the
> webconfig tool and open a browser on the users notebook to start the
> webconiguration.

Yeah, the autodiscovery I think is the kind of stuff we need, Mickaël Fourgeaud talked about developing this. We'd need a server and client side, perhaps you two can figure out something together here?

> This webconfig tool can configure for example (not limited to):
> - Apache
>   - SSL (let's encrypt etc)
>   - SSL renew cert
Yeah, I think let's encrypt timing has been perfect for us ;-)

> - mySQL
>   - my.cnf
>   - Backup

Some backup solution we'll need, somehow. I was hoping to see a proposal for developing that. There are some pieces here and there, like ownBackup for example.

> - php.ini
> - dynDNS
> - ownCloud
>   - Config Backup
> - AntiVirus for ownCloud (clamav) (not sure if performance is enough)
> - Username / Password for HostOS
> - Automated Updates (Host OS) (ownCloud via updater)
> - firewall
> - UPNP (to open Port on Router) (not sure if this is not too risky)
> - much much more
>
> After initial configuration the webconfig tool can reside on the system
> but is now protected via username / password so nobody can reset /
> reconfigure the system.
>
> But to implement and test everything above We need a lot of time so
> let's start small and simple like owncloud did. Let's create a great
> solution, easy to use for everybody.
>
> What do you think?
>
> This proposal is not an application for a dev-kit ( I already have a few
> raspies)
>
> Cheers,
>
>  Christian

Everything I do and say is based on my view of the world today. I am not responsible for changes in the world, nor my view on it. Everything I say is meant in a positive and friendly way, unless explicitly stated otherwise.