[owncloud-devel] PiDrive proposal: merged solution?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:26:54 GMT 2015

On Wednesday 16 December 2015 10:29:39 Alexey Volkov wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What do you guys think of merging two solutions proposed by Petros
> Angelatos  (redis.io)
> https://mailman.owncloud.org/pipermail/devel/2015-December/001820.html
> and one from our team?
> https://mailman.owncloud.org/pipermail/devel/2015-December/001796.html
>
> Our solution is based on minimal OS built manually with Buildroot, and this
> part is not covered good enough yet. Redis.io is definitely superior here.
> But our approach is less resource hungry since we do not need http/php
> running on board, we run our lightweight "back-end"  which performs FUSE
> file operations over the SSL channel. RPi filesystem is mounted on server,
> where ownCloud "sees" it as local file system. It works for any complex
> network configurations, bypasses NATs/firewalls  and runs also on v1 boards.
>
> Yes, user should trust the service, but we can make WD- or even
> community-controlled service like https://<your_uid>.pidrive.org or
> whatever.  User just registers at service, types the board id under the
> user's profile, and that is all - ownCloud GUI with your data hosted on
> your RPi. And also PCs are supported, so user can access all his data in a
> single entry point.  And in v2 of our protocol we will bring up p2p
> cross-mounting capabilities to avoid relaying data through the server.
>
> As I told, we have a prototype working, but such hot things like multiple
> boards support, host OS updates, data backup are not implemented yet. In
> collaboration with redis.io we could make it really good.

I personally feel that the solution of essentially running ownCloud somewhere else and using the Pi purely for storage doesn't solve the problem of dependency and privacy. If your server is hacked, all user data is lost, right? If your server goes down, so does everything, right? And if you get, say this is super sucessful, 100.000 users, can you handle that? For free?

The v2 protocol sounds interesting, p2p certainly is helpful and possibly what we're looking for. I just want to make sure we keep this as independent from any outside server(s) as possible - I don't think you're evil (of course not) but it is a risk I think.

Then again, I also think that there is room for multiple solutions, at least up to a point. When we ship a device, it might make total sense that the first version offers multiple choices for how to set things up - and your solution DOES solve the hard firewall problems and such, so for some users, it might be perfect. So don't be discouraged, I think you can be part of the solution.

Cheers,
Jos

> What do you think?

Everything I do and say is based on my view of the world today. I am not responsible for changes in the world, nor my view on it. Everything I say is meant in a positive and friendly way, unless explicitly stated otherwise.