[owncloud-devel] Western Digital proposal - Syncloud

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:44:18 GMT 2015

On Wednesday 16 December 2015 17:25:43 Boris Rybalkin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I represent Syncloud project and we share most of the goals of Western
> Digital and ownCloud collaboration project so we would like to take part in
> it. Every feature listed below is already implemented and working. You can
> see Syncloud+ownCloud activation process video here
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXJFvWeQw_s it is demonstrating a relative
> installation simplicity. We maintain all information at our web site:
> syncloud.org.
>
> From functionality perspective we have already:
>
> 1. Images for several major ARM SBCs (Raspberry Pi 2, Beagle Bone Black,
> Cubieboard 2, Cubietruck and ODROID XU3/XU4).
>
> 2. Discovery and Activation mobile apps for Android and iPhone.
>
> 3. Third level domains at syncloud.it are assigned to Syncloud devices and
> mapped to internal/external IP address for user convenience.
>
> 4. Ports are automatically mapped on a home router to enable external
> access.
>
> 5. Apps management system with ownCloud in it (Diaspora is in testing now
> and more are coming).
>
> Here are some technical details about how Syncloud works:
>
> 0. Syncloud device is essentially a Linux server which is hosting different
> components for users.
>
> 1. For our images we prepare Debian root partition for ARM as a base and
> build it together with boot partition of corresponding board into the
> image. This is automated for all boards mentioned above. Syncloud software
> is added once at the moment of preparing root partition.
>
> 2. Avahi server running on Syncloud device is used to enable device
> discovery in the local network through Bonjour protocol. Applications for
> iOS and Android were implemented to make discovery of Syncloud device as
> simple as possible. At the moment of device activation user sets device
> credentials.
>
> 3. Syncloud Dynamic DNS  is built on top of Amazon Route53 service. Every
> Syncloud device gets third level domain name at syncloud.it. The device
> periodically updates it's ip address on the server.
>
> 4. UPnP and NAT-PMP protocols are used to map ports on the home router is
> user wants to have access the device from outside of his network. Port
> mappings are being checked and updated periodically.
>
> 5. We package each Syncloud application into copy deployment zip. This way
> installation is smooth and fast. Fresh versions of applications could be
> updated through web admin panel on the device. This packaging is fully
> automated and runs on the build server for both x86_64 and armv7l
> platforms. Applications binaries are stored and downloaded from Amazon S3
> storage.
>
> It seems that we already have covered all goals of the collaboration
> project therefore we would like to participate and make Syncloud running on
> the WD prototype box.

This is really, REALLY awesome. You guys, you're in, all of you. Did I say that already? ;-)

> Thanks,
> Boris Rybalkin
>
> Syncloud

Everything I do and say is based on my view of the world today. I am not responsible for changes in the world, nor my view on it. Everything I say is meant in a positive and friendly way, unless explicitly stated otherwise.