[owncloud-devel] so many ideas!`

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:47:22 GMT 2015

 Love the energy! There are many proposals. Of course, many conflicting, going in different directions - building on resin.io, with Arch, building on Debian and the Freedombox, building on Ubuntu.

I don't want you to think of this as a contest! *It is not*. We should try to find *common ground*.

But not right away! I don't want to go now and make decisions what we'll do. Build on resin.io, or on syncloud, or on Daniel  Hansson's VM, or on the Freedom box. It is hard to choose and I don't have the knowledge. Nobody can predict what is best and actually, I'm sure we could make any of them work.

So I say - let's get a few things going. The best project will show up some time in the first weeks of January, I bet, and then we'll take that one further.

Meanwhile, I think much of the work in other areas like the gallery or the easy installation or the performance work will be re-usable across projects. That is why we'd like to see you all work in our github, so you can see what everybody does, and steal/copy ideas and make something that has a piece of everybody.

Like with the ways to pierce through the firewall - there's http://www.tinc-vpn.org/ there is what Syncloud does with UPNP, there is the stuff from onmydisk. Why not give the user some choice? THe first version could have all of them, with some documentation, then our first few hundred users will be testers. We will get feedback and when we create a next batch of 100 million devices ;-) we will have a PERFECT solution that works for everybody :D

By now, I think there are at least 10 great proposals from great people. We'll probably get a few more Raspberry Pi's and kits from WD if we have to to make sure all of them get something, OK?

We'll look further tomorrow. Keep thinking, keep replying, posting, discussing! Then next week: get started!

Cheers,
Jos
Everything I do and say is based on my view of the world today. I am not responsible for changes in the world, nor my view on it. Everything I say is meant in a positive and friendly way, unless explicitly stated otherwise.