[owncloud-devel] ownCloud-Western Digital proposal

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 19:51:23 GMT 2015

On Thursday 17 December 2015 10:46:14 Efstathios Iosifidis wrote:
> We are Alex-P. Natsios[1], Salih Emin[2], Stathis Iosifidis[3] and
> Thanos Tryfonidis[4]. We saw the article on the blog about Western
> Digital and ownCloud team up and we think that it's a great project to
> bring ownCloud to home users.
>
> We think that the project's timeline (1-1.5 month) is a bit too short
> and we would like to extend it to 2-2.5 months.
>
> Here is our short overview of the Project plan:
>
> The general idea is to modify the current "Owncloud Sync" app to be
> the Control center of the WDSata+Raspberry PI+owncloud Hub.
>
> 1. We will be adding a button to the syncing software. When the user
> installs and lauches the software, he will be presented with a welcome
> screen plus the network discovery button that will scan the network
> and find the IP and important details of the WD-oC box.
> Primary goal would be  to build a feature that will be linking the
> user's computer with the box (and adding it as a cloud drive option).
>
> 2. Considering this is going to be an average joe user device (family
> cloud?) the point is for the image and the overall maintainance
> process to be as transparent to the user as possible.
> (Including the security and backing up of the user's important data).
> That means that the base chosen will have to most likely be an example
> of an LTS or generally stable distro that can be deployed and
> configured in a hussle free and reproducible way to both create the
> "stock" first image and provide important updates in the future.
>
> 3. ownCloud and the rest of the web interfaces will probably be
> running in a traditional LAMP stack (specifics to be discussed while
> working on this, seeing the toll it will have on the pi and where/what
> can be shaved off), plus most likely a service like Avahi/mDNS for
> local network discoverability (and samba if the user machine is a
> windows one).
>
> 4. We will pack the downloadable image for the community.
>
> 5. It would be better to work on an own github repo under the ownCloud
> organization than have all teams or individuals work on the same repos
> separated by folders ( makes both access and working easier for
> everyone in our opinion ).

Great proposal, Stathis.

Yes, we might want to take more time for this - we are flexible and will decide some time in January if we need more time. Depends on how things go!

See if you guys can work with others, like the resin.io, syncloud and others...

The github repo - you can work in a separate branch, that should not be a huge deal, right? I just think it is good to keep stuff together a bit. We can pick a new, clean repo at a later point if we want. Github has room :D