[owncloud-devel] Experience with WD Chalenge like setup

Michal Hrusecky michal at hrusecky.net
Thu Dec 17 21:07:34 GMT 2015

Hi,

while discussion is going on, I have a few questions regarding everyones
experience with running similar setup to what is proposed in WD
Challenge. I have at home BananaPi with external USB harddrive running
ownCloud now and while installing it I did few decisions that might be
relevant to the challenge as well, so I was wondering whether you have
similar experience/setup or something else (will help us shape the image
and improve our home setups).

Decisions I made:
-----------------

1) Database on SD card

I have whole system and even the ownCloud database on SD card. Reasoning
behind it is that even though it is slow, my externel harddrive is put
asleep most of the time and spinning it up would take quite some time.
So I prefer to get immediately something responding slowly than
something that needs to wake up and than performs. And I don't want to
have it spinning all the time as that is the point of going for ARM
board - saving up some energy.

2) SQLite instead of MySQL

SQLite has plenty of issues, but I ended up using it instead of MySQL as
I have a feeling that on SD card it is faster. But didn't run any
benchmark and didn't tuned up MySQL much. On real drive, MySQL should
beat SQLite in performance without any problem, but I had the feeling
that writes/reads were much more scattered all around and thus slower
than SQLite when running on slow weird storage like SD card. Did anybody
did some benchmark? What is your experience? I actually migrated from
SQLite to MySQL and than back, but maybe I should have spend more time
tunning MySQL.

My performance boosting TODO:
-----------------------------

1) Copy database to tmpfs on start and sync it back regularly to keep
persistence, gain speed but end up with possibility of loosing last X
minutes of history. Would require quite some scripting which I didn't
get to yet, but wondering whether somebody does have something like that
already and what people think about it :-)

2) Use squashfs + overlayfs for OS. Found out that reads from SD card
are quite slow and as I don't want to have my HDD spinning all the time,
sounds like some of the reads from OS can be speed up by using squashfs
and thus compressed filesystem. Would require special mounting on start
but could safe both space and time. Not for data, but should allow to
fit whole OS on small SD, maybe even multiple times and could improve
performance over direct SD card. Did some basic unfair testing and
looked like reading files from squashfs on top of SD card is faster than
reading from SD card directly.

So, what is your experience? What do you think about my decisions and
ideas?