[owncloud-devel] WD + ownCloud challenge on piCore

Artjom Tsarajev artjom.tsarajev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 00:17:14 GMT 2015

Hello everyone,

Just heard about the WD challenge today from a podcast and decided to throw
in a couple of thoughts.

>From what I understand, the system behind the project should be lightweight
and simply configurable. That is why I wanted to propose running the system
off of a RaspberryPi port of TinyCore Linux. In case you haven't heard
about it, it's a light linux distro that runs completely from RAM while
software and persistent storage can be stored on a separate mount (WD drive
in this case). The fact that the system is initially read from an SD card
in read-only mode and copied into RAM makes it safe to use in case of a
power loss. If you want to learn more, you can go to
http://www.tinycorelinux.net for info.

As for the project itself, I have successfully set up a running instance of
piCore with Apache+PHP and it runs great on a first gen RPi model B. Boot
times are around 15 seconds, RAM usage is about 100 MB. I have also written
a blog post describing the setup process at
http://ska.ee/posts/2015/2015-12/2015-12-07_philecms_picore_eng

TinyCore is highly configurable through text files, there is a package
manager available, the only thing I see lacking in terms of security is the
ability to update different packages automatically.

Regards,
Artjom