[owncloud-devel] OwnCloud on WD Proposal

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 16:49:37 GMT 2015

On Friday 18 December 2015 06:51:08 Stephen Partington wrote:
> One of the things I have been wondering is how well nginx runs owncloud (i
> just havent gotten around to doing this research yet). I know it can be
> used to run a very productive arm based wordpress server.
It works, though it is tested a bit less than Apache so we'll have to play
with it a bit more perhaps.

> I also know that
> owncloud can be rather responsive to disk performance bottlenecks so at
> some point I may have to steal my camera's SD card to compare that in
> comparison to the SD card provided.

You shouldn't run ownCloud on a SD card anyhow - these cards are heavily
optimized for sequential read and write performance, sporting block sizes in
the megabytes. Storing a database on that with its random write patterns reads
to massive write amplification: for every tiny write the SD card writes a full
block of several MB's, burning through the lifetime write capacity of the card
in months, weeks or even days if you use it heavily.

Some caching in memory can help but that risks losing data in case of power
loss or crashes.