[owncloud-devel] Help us with Project Ideas page

Jan ten Bokkel jan at tenbokkel.net
Sun Feb 1 10:02:12 GMT 2015

Hi Alessandro,

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of PlayCloud (I bought the app) but it
doesn't do automated synchronization via WebDAV. It is just a WebDAV
client, and the developer has no plans to implement it.

I've done some experiments with Apache Cordova to create a client for
ownCloud, and got a working derivation of the backend of the Windows8
app [1]. But then I ran into a limitation of Apache Cordova, being that
one cannot run code in background when the app is minimized or closed.
This is a show stopper for fully automated synchronisation. BlackBerry
has a solution in WebWorks (Apache Cordova fork) to create a headless
app, but that only works with native code.

[1] https://github.com/owncloud/windows8/tree/master/lib/js/interface
[2]
http://developer.blackberry.com/html5/documentation/v2_2/creating_a_ww_app_with_headless_app.html