[owncloud-devel] Schedules for deprecation

Volkan Gezer volkangezer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 18:18:30 GMT 2015

> Am 26.02.15 um 09:46 schrieb Morris Jobke:
>
>> Hi Mark,
>>
>>  any news regarding the wiki page?
>>>>

>>> I think Morris wanted to work on that.
>>> I hope we have something soon. :-)
>>>

>> I've written down the way we want to handle releases in the future:
>>
>> https://github.com/owncloud/core/wiki/Maintenance-and-Release-Schedule
>>
>> Does this sound reasonable? If there is something unclear: feel free to
>> ask. I also added a link to this page on the wiki landing page.

Look nice :). However ...

>> Cheers
>> Morris
>>
>>  Hello Morris,
>
> the versioning looks like old openSUSE model e.g. 8.0 - 8.3 > 9.0 - 9.3 >
> and so on :-)
>

> Personally I cannot follow the "significant version number increase"
> argument.
> Chrome has version 40 and firefox v36 since yesterday. People do not care
> about the version no. anymore. They are used to it.

Why do you follow the quarter release numbering?
> Could you explain the thoughts a bit better?

Actually I am agree with Chris. In this case, this needs too many
calculations to find out everything :). Maybe at least minor versions could
be the months that the release is out. Not 8.1, 8.2, 8.3 but like 8.1 8.4
8.7. Then it is easier to calculate "next release+18 months". Otherwise
quarter is an ambiguous term in terms of calculation IMO. See [1]. Seems
pretty complicated to me :).

[1] http://www.investopedia.com/terms/q/quarter.asp