[owncloud-devel] github server labels

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 21:49:08 GMT 2015

Hi all,

Morris had the 'brilliant' idea that I could document the labels used in
github. After a first draft it was clear many are not well defined and need
some conversation. The current state of the document is here:

http://bit.ly/oClabels

Have a look and comment! The PR in question is here:
https://github.com/owncloud/documentation/pull/704

I will move them to a separate page once done but let's first finish talking
about them.

In short, the open questions are these:
Tags showing the state of the issue or PR, numbered 1-6:
  #1 - Backlog - this issue has to be tackled but isn't planned in yet
  #2 - Triaging - this issue has to be triaged
  #3 - To develop - ready to start development on this
  #4 - Developing - development in progress
  #5 - To Review - ready for review
  #6 - Reviewing - review in progress

Do the above tags accurately reflect how we work? Are they useful and clear,
are the descriptions correct and do we want to (re)move some of them?

Vince proposed:
Maybe having just three steps would be enough:
1. No label: means not started
2. Developing: development in progress / work has started (even when
designing
this tag could be set)
3. Reviewing: to review / review in progress (meaning dev is done)

Other labels which need either removal or definition:
#QA -
#Update - ?
#documentation - ?
#Planned feature - ?
#attention - ?
#sqlite-to-mysql-migration - ?
#approved by qa - ?
#blue ticket - ?
#green ticket - ?
#purple ticket - ?

And as it stands now, I will execute the following actions once there is
agreement:

#Gold ticket - replace with #showstopper
#Bug - no plans to fix - replace with #won't fix
#Duplicate - TO BE REMOVED
#EE - TO BE REMOVED
#quota - TO BE REMOVED
#Avatars - TO BE REMOVED
#Engineering - TO BE REMOVED

Last but not least, Morris asked:
"There is also some backlog milestones in place - how to use this properly?"

Thoughts on the above and/or labels in general?

Cheers,
Jos