[owncloud-devel] Federated Cloud

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Tue Jan 27 19:30:23 GMT 2015

Hi guys,

ownCloud 7 introduced a concept called server 2 server sharing. In ownCloud 8 we will push this to the next level and making it way more powerful. This concept of connecting different servers into a federated mesh network is very important for the ownCloud vision.

We used the clunky term "server 2 server sharing" that was introduced by me in the past. But this is a really bad name for such an important and next generation concept and feature. After some brainstorming with different people we want to rename this feature to "Federated Cloud". This describes way better what the real idea behind this feature is.
We should rename this in the code, documentation and web pages as soon as possible.

I hope this works for everyone.
Let me know what you think?

Cheers
Frank