[owncloud-devel] Help us with Project Ideas page

rehrumesh at gmail.com rehrumesh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:26:54 GMT 2015

This is a great idea.

Sent from Windows Mail

From: dev at bernhard-posselt.com
Sent: ‎Thursday‎, ‎January‎ ‎29‎, ‎2015 ‎3‎:‎18‎ ‎PM
To: devel at owncloud.org

What about an app store that uses git repos instead of uploading zips, much like bower. The only required thing would be a repo string, everything else would be read from the info.xml. The workflow for registering would be something like the following:

   ocdev register http://github.com/user/repo

This would not only make publishing very easy (just push a tag to a repo) but also reviewing (you can diff back to the previous tag that youve reviewed). And you've got support for multiple ownCloud versions out of the box, just parse requiremin/requiremax etc!

When installing the app, the app store would check for the tag that was requested, clone the repo and create a downloadable, cachable zip if a zip does not already exist.

The project itself could be a webapp that just exposes the ocs app store api and handles the git clone stuff. A webinterface could follow later on and should only feature screenshots, ratings and optionally comments (most comments are bug reports that should go to the bug tracker).

In the future we should furthermore get rid of the ocsid and just use the app id to identify apps, otherwise we'll run into collisions when a user installs an app with the same app id (folder name)