[owncloud-devel] Federated Cloud

Volkan Gezer volkangezer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 14:41:49 GMT 2015

> On Tuesday 27 January 2015 14:30:23 Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> ownCloud 7 introduced a concept called server 2 server sharing. In ownCloud
>> 8 we will push this to the next level and making it way more powerful.
>> This concept of connecting different servers into a federated mesh network
>> is very important for the ownCloud vision.
>>
>> We used the clunky term "server 2 server sharing" that was introduced by me
>> in the past. But this is a really bad name for such an important and next
>> generation concept and feature. After some brainstorming with different
>> people we want to rename this feature to "Federated Cloud". This describes
>> way better what the real idea behind this feature is. We should rename
>> this in the code, documentation and web pages as soon as possible.
>>
>> I hope this works for everyone.
>> Let me know what you think?
>
> Federated Cloud is exactly the right name, I'd say, as it is about bringing
> clouds together. The wiki links by Alexander prove that point ;-)

Well, I think ownCloud became so popular not only because of the great
community, but also the catchy name... I would also suggest
"ownCloud Connect" since the word "federated" is not even in the list
of most used first 30000 English words even though it gives the
meaning. Not being in 30000 means that people might need to look up
the dictionary to learn what this feature can be. I would also suggest
a poll to show the power of the community by letting users select a
name for this great feature.