[owncloud-devel] Tune your appinfo.xml - OCS ID + Dependencies

Lukas Reschke lukas at statuscode.ch
Wed Jul 1 00:56:29 GMT 2015

Hey Rock Stars,

If you follow the 8.1 development and the ownCloud development blog posts you will probably have seen that we’re moving to a 3 tier model in the ownCloud app store (apps.owncloud.com <http://apps.owncloud.com/>). (Official app / Approved app / Experimental app)

The rankings are stored on the appstore and to make your app compatible with the ranking system it is required to make a small adjustment in appinfo/info.xml.

1. OCS ID, the id that you see when accessing an app in the appstore. The roundcube app at https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/roundcube?content=151523 <https://apps.owncloud.com/content/show.php/roundcube?content=151523> would have 151523 for example. Just for the record: We’re working on mechanisms to allow delivery of different app versions from the same OCS ID so that the rating stays. – Stay tuned…
2. Dependencies, please set dependencies on the app store interface as well as matching ones in the info.xml code. Include the minimum and the maximum version that your application can work on. If your targeting also the current ownCloud version (i.e. 8.0) then please set it to 8.0 which will enforce users to download an update once the next major release is released. This is really important since untested applications can in the worst case scenario break whole ownCloud instances and make users really unhappy.

For a simple example see https://github.com/owncloud/bookmarks/blob/b50b08cd26c2a0006d23a7e9c8dd1f71a9a9697c/appinfo/info.xml#L10-L13 <https://github.com/owncloud/bookmarks/blob/b50b08cd26c2a0006d23a7e9c8dd1f71a9a9697c/appinfo/info.xml#L10-L13>

Nothing is yet set in absolute stone and we’re always fine tuning our processes but it would be super awesome if developers could already make their own apps compatible. (which will also make it easier for us to mark an app as approved so that more users can get aware of it :)) - Some more thoughts can be found at https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.1/developer_manual/app/publishing.html <https://doc.owncloud.org/server/8.1/developer_manual/app/publishing.html> (we’re still tuning that page)

Best,
Lukas